Make This at Home: Lemon Chicken
Food is the way to anyone's heart. But what do you do when you can't differentiate between a spatula and a spade? Enlist the help of The MeatMen. The bunch of friends behind Singapore's inspiring online cooking channel comprises from left to right in the picture below.
Chris Lim, Kiat Yingda, Tan Junjie and Jonathan Tan
They are the men who cook, filming the process before turning it into a drool-worthy clip. The recipes are mainly derived from existing ones, but with a firm focus on favourite local fare given a unique twist. Lemon chicken, a common sight at the chicken rice stall, is the dish they chose to reinvent for us. Here's how you make it. Get those spatulas ready.
3 boneless chicken thighs
1 cup potato starch
oil for frying
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 egg white
Juice from 1 lemon
3 tablespoon plum sauce
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 lemon, sliced
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
1. Mix the marinate into the chicken and let it sit for 30 minutes.
2. Spread the 1 cup of potato starch on a trap, and coat the marinated chicken with it.
3. Heat the oil to 180 degrees celcius and deep fry the chicken till golden brown. Drain oil from the chicken and set aside.
4. Juice the lemon, removing the seeds, and after you've sliced the onion and lemon, heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok. Add in the sliced onions and stir fry until soften. Add in 1/2 cup of water, plum sauce, lemon juice and sliced lemons. Mix well and cook until the sauce thickens.
5. Cut the chicken thighs into strips, and add the lemon sauce to the chicken. Now serve.